Rise to the Top of the Food Chain
I’ve heard great things about the strategy worker placement game Dominant Species and I knew even before I got it from images from Board Game Geek (best board game site ever) that it would be in great need for an insert.
Here’s how it stood shortly after one of my little joys in life of unboxing a new board game:
I could already foresee a little wood bit tumbling out of its pile during game play and falling victim to either the vacuum or a curious dogs digestive track.
- Sideways storage safe and passes a medium shake test.
- Individual player faction bits trays.
- Room for everything to fit even after that MAMMOTH sized board is placed in the box.
- Bits box trays designed so my fingers could actually remove bits without feeling like I’m playing a drunkin game of Operation.
Mission accomplished! I took a couple of revisions and prototypes bit it all fits. Removable faction trays can be place board side with the hex tiles and game can be up and going in a quick and easy manner. Goodbye little plastic baggies, you will not be missed. It also passed my sideways storage and a medium shake test simulating a journey in a backpack from Point A to point B.
ROUND 1: Big Fingers Vs. Wooden Bits
And the winner is!…..Wooden bits. Come on people. I’m not a miracle worker here. Until I invent a insert that causes your tiny wooden game cube bits to hover in a slowly rotating sphere above the table top for the universe’s easiest access, the wooden bits always win. But I made the battle tilt a bit more in our favor through the power of angles! two simple little angled sections allow the cubes to tip for easier retrieval and not slide one of its 90° sides to nest perfectly and irretrievably into a corner causing the visual appearance of a grown man trying pick up a smooth metal ball bearing with a pair of chopsticks. (╯°□°）╯︵ ┻━┻)
There is also a removable tray for Hex tiles that also holds the element tokens and cards. I prefer to just leave this in the box and only remove the faction bits boxes but I wanted flexibility for those with alternative preferences.
The final stack up and assembly: