My Lands Need A Home
After ditching the standard cardboard card holders and upgrading to a wood box from Hobby Lobby for my EDH Magic the Gathering cards I realized I was using a lot of box real estate on my basic mana cards.
I had just purchased some Danish Oil and I wanted to see what a more natural raw looked like since up to this point I had just been staining or spray painting all the wood projects like my Cards Against Humanity box.
I dimensioned the box to hold cards in sleeves and I figured about 150 of each mana type plus about 150 non basic lands should be the length I need. I got a design I liked and let the laser cutter do its work. To prep the box for assembly I pre-sanded the surfaces with a 220 grit paper being sure to sand with the grain. I wanted keep the laser cut burnt ends look so I didn’t sand the edges but instead just wiped them down with a damp rag to get the soot off to assure the glue would make a solid bond.
A quick trip to Harbor Freight and I obtained a few clamps of various sizes. Using small paint brush I applied the most minimal amount of glue I felt reasonable so I would have the least amount of glue to wipe away with a damp rag and damp cotton swabs after the clamps squeezed the glue out of the joints. I was exceptionally diligent about removing all excess glue to make sure the Danish oil would be able to get into the wood pours and not have them filled with glue on the visible surfaces thus creating unstained areas of blotchyness.
I repeated this process for the box base and I was ready to sand away any glue I missed with a 220 grit paper. The box was then ready to be sanded. Here’s a image of the assembled box in its raw state without any Danish oil or sealer applied.
A Finished Worthy Mana Station
After reading the back of the Danish Oil container and watching a couple of YouTube videos I had a good feeling of how to not mess that process up. I turned out pretty good.
For Some reason the box came out a bit two-toned on just the front section. Not sure why but this could be a large section of the “blochy” issues that can occur with softer woods. I might need to start using a wood conditioner before staining as I heard that the addition of the conditioning step prevents that.